On 10/01/2012 15:13, Peter Miller wrote:
On 10 January 2012 13:53, David Earl <da...@frankieandshadow.com <mailto:da...@frankieandshadow.com>> wrote:

    On 10/01/2012 13:46, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

        Michael Collinson wrote:

            +1 to Richard's suggestion odbl=clean

        Just a tiny little clarification - this isn't something I've
        dreamed up,
        it's a real live tag with 9,000 occurrences in the database
        already, and
        which is being used by status visualisations such as OSM
        Inspector. :)

    Yes, the trouble is when Frederik pointed this out and referred to
    the page, it says it is for cases where the suspect edit has been
    wiped out, not simply verified from other sources. How can you
    change the name from itself to itself and actually have changed
    anything?

    If odbl=clean is OK for this then that's great, but I am troubled
    that I may go to a lot of trouble to deal with these and then find
    they get removed anyway. The lack of clear direction is very
    frustrating (as is the apparent need to do more work than
    necessary). It would be so much easier if we knew for sure what
    the rules actually are.

That is pretty much my point also. I will do the necessary work when there is a stable and reasonable description of what that work is and is not and I have confidence that the description is stable.

Hearing that there is disagreement on what the (as yet undocumented) odbl=clean tag means and how it should be used doesn't excite me to do the work yet! To help the process along I have created an simple article for odbl=clean here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:odbl%3Dclean

Thanks, I can use that to publicise it. So, we need to a bandwagon and better closure on when/how to use. On the technical side I see it appearing in OSMI graphs at http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/munin.html so assume we are cool on writing a technical rule for it and that in the rebuild it is a simple matter of just ignoring the specific node/way/relation ... I'd feel better with more informed technical corroboration though, I am out of my depth here.

Mike