On 10/01/2012 14:53, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Hi,

On 01/10/12 15:37, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Yes, the trouble is when Frederik pointed this out and referred to the
page, it says it is for cases where the suspect edit has been wiped out,
not simply verified from other sources. How can you change the name from
itself to itself and actually have changed anything?

Just delete the name tag and re-add it. It's not your fault if the
editor doesn't upload that to the API then ;)

More seriously: There is *no* way you can acquire intellectual property
of something by saying that "I have looked it up and it is correct".

You either have to remove it and re-create it, even if the result looks
the same - even if, and hence my snarky remark in the previous email,
the API doesn't actually see your actions -, or you have to dispute that
there was any intellectual property in the first place.

But doing neither - i.e., saying "yes, 80n did have intellectual
property on this one, and no, I didn't change it, but yes, it is now
ODbL clean" is, in my eyes, a legal impossibility.

I don't see what the physical act of pressing the keys on the keyboard to retype the name achieves. It's the source of the newly uploaded data (which would contain odbl clean) that matters, not the characters it is composed of. If I retype the name and then mark it odbl clean, what ends up in the database is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL with what was there before other than the odbl clean assertion. Why does pressing the keys make any difference whatsoever? The original contributor doesn't own the copyright in the name, only their contribution, and by marking it odbl clean I'm making an alternative contribution which asserts the source is now legitimate.

This is an issue for everyone, not just me. If lawyers are involved it should be legal advice to all of us organised centrally.

David