On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 19:39 +0100, Robert Norris wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 03:27:31 +0100
> > From: openstreet...@jordan-maynard.org
> > To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
> > Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Hampshire Vandalization - No Bere Forest?
> >
> > On 29/03/2012 19:30, Robert Norris wrote:
> > >
> > > I've just noticed Bere Forest (and trails) has been wiped from the map:
> > > http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.91178&lon=-1.15578&zoom=15
> > >
> > > It's literally empty space!
> > >
> > > Probably most where Andy Steets initial trials, but he's agreed so was
> > > there some over zealous deletion by some one?
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the history service contains to many world edits to be of
> > > use, and the general OSM history is quit slow at the moment.
> > > I think user monxton has tried to repair stuff.
> >
> > If it helps, I don't mind if you revert my changesets to get back to a
> > better place. I reinstated the roads, but clearly there's a lot more
> > that went missing too.
> >

> This afternoon I went to the Forest of Bere in search of Bluebells as
> recommended by the Woodland Trust website [1]
>
> However it didn't live up to it's 5 star rating, but it was quite nice
> nevertheless - maybe I'm a bit late for Bluebells - there were some but not
> that many.

I've not been down there this year but IIRC the Upperford Copse/Woodend
bit is often a good area for Bluebells.

> So I've had a good wander and should be able to redo most main tracks
> (there's also loads of little paths - which where never in before anyway -
> not that I walked many of them).

Great stuff!

> What's all nice is the Forestry Commission allow you to cycle on *all* paths,
> and horse riding is by permit only (tag as 'horse=permit' ?)

Be careful as not all parts of the forest have the same access
permissions. As a rule of thumb I'd say that it is worth double checking
any part of the forest that you have to cross a road to access.

> I'll remap it time permitting tomorrow morning (out and about tonight) plus
> fixing the longer routes that go through it from previous outings / and
> renewed knowledge.
>
> I didn't go to the north parts of the Upperford Copse section though.
>
> [1]http://visitwoods.org.uk/en/visit-woods/Pages/get-involved.aspx

It looks like the rain is clearing here so I'll probably try and get out
this afternoon to put some of Swanmore parish back on the map. I've
started up the Bishop's Waltham & Dundridge valley end and slowly making
my way back towards the village.

Cheers,

Andy