> However, there are also instances of highway=no, where roads have been
> realigned or ripped up, should these also be removed from the database?

I think highway=no is typically used as a temporary tag to try to stop
remote mappers from adding something from a source that is not up to
date. In practice they probably sit around in the database in
perpetuity, but it still seems quite different to actively map
dismantled and abandoned railway lines.

As others have mentioned, railway=dismantled seems fine. However, what
is the argument for keeping connections between sections of dismantled
railway, that have since been split by modern developments?

As an aside, how would one map a dismantled railway bridge? And, how
would one map an intact but disused bridge from which the railway
tracks have been removed?

Craig