On 4 July 2012 09:39, Craig Loftus <craigloftus+...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think highway=no is typically used as a temporary tag to try to stop
> remote mappers from adding something from a source that is not up to
> date.
> …      However, what
> is the argument for keeping connections between sections of dismantled
> railway, that have since been split by modern developments?

In some places, the abandoned railway is visible on aerial imagery,
but has since been developed over. I would say this is a very similar
situation to the roads.

As to connecting things up, perhaps that is just OCD and trying to
make things neat and tidy :p

> As an aside, how would one map a dismantled railway bridge? And, how
> would one map an intact but disused bridge from which the railway
> tracks have been removed?

For an example of a dismantled bridge with old embankments on either
side, I would map these as r=abandoned, and the route where the bridge
used to be as r=dismantled.

This has 2 benefits IMO: it shows other mappers that the ex railway
has been mapped in a bit more detail than just a single rough way; and
it may be of use to some users of OSM data, as Peter alluded to.

For the intact bridge, I think this is a relatively clear case of
r=abandoned, as there is something on the ground to map that is part
of an abandoned railway.

regards, Donald