Barry,

Are you saying that a road marked with a numeric sign of '60 mph' defines a
different legal maximum speed for some vehicle types from a single
carriageway road marked with a white sign and a black diagonal? For example
that a bus/coach/car+trailer/HGV less that 7.5 tonnes are only be able to
operate at 50 mph on a national limit single carriageway road (for examples
one tagged marked maxspeed=60 mph,maxspeed:type=gb:national), but can
operate at 60mph on a dual carriageway road signed numerically (ie
maxspeed=60 mph;maxspeed:type=sign)?

Peter

On 24 September 2013 16:04, Barry Cornelius <barrycorneliu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Richard Mann wrote:
>
>> So...on the basis that we should tag what is there, we see a white sign
>> with a black diagonal line on it then that is
>> what we should indicate. We do of course interpret that by putting what
>> we believe if the correct legal speed limit in
>> maxspeed. As such a single carriageway national limit is coded as
>> "maxspeed:type=gb:national,**maxspeed=60 mph". As dual
>> carriageway is tagged as "maxspeed:type=gb:national,**maxspeed=70 mph".
>> The motorway version is
>> "highway=motorway,maxspeed:**type=gb:national,maxspeed=70 mph".
>>

> I was once on a speed awareness course.  Many of the attendees were
> unaware of what the limits were on the different kinds of road.  So the
> question was raised as to why a black diagonal line is used and not a value
> like 50 or 60 or 70 which make life a lot easier.
>
> The reason is that the maximum speed is dependent on the kind of vehicle
> you are driving.  It's defined in Rule 125 of the Highway Code which is at:
>    https://www.gov.uk/general-**rules-all-drivers-riders-103-**
> to-158/control-of-the-vehicle-**117-to-126<https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/control-of-the-vehicle-117-to-126>
>
> So I wonder whether it is appropriate to include "maxspeed=70 mph" in OSM
> as it could be misunderstood.  It is only appropriate for some road users.
>  This was certainly the argument being proposed for not having 70 on road
> signs.
>
> Of course, another reason for not using numerical values on road signs is
> that if the UK were ever to change the value of the national speed limits
> then it would mean a lot of signs to change!  I guess this does not apply
> to OSM as global editing is a little easier.
>
> Although I lurk on this list, I'm not an OSM contributor.
>
> --
> Barry Cornelius
> http://www.northeastraces.com/
> http://www.thehs2.com/
> http://www.rowmaps.com/
> http://www.oxonpaths.com/
> http://www.barrycornelius.com/

Peter Miller CEO

+44(0) 7774 667213

ITO World Ltd - Registered in England & Wales - Registration Number 5753174

Office - 2nd Floor, 25 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AQ.

Registered Office - 32 Hampstead Heath, London, NW3 1JQ.

Telephone - 01473 272225

www.itoworld.com

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager
or the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or
make copies thereof.