On 23/09/15 20:36, Tim Waters wrote:
Could subtracting between the DSM and DTM where we have buildings
already in OSM give the height of the buildings?

On 23 September 2015 at 15:08, Chris Hill <o...@raggedred.net> wrote:
On 23/09/15 14:18, Phil Endecott wrote:
Has anyone reviewed how useful this LIDAR data would be for 3D city
mapping?

Chris Hill wrote:
The slippy map with relief tiles made from the data and optionally
contours also made from the data is here: http://relief.raggedred.net.

Thanks Chris.  I've just been looking at Hull city centre.  It doesn't
look great; is this the difference between the "terrain model" and the
"surface model" that they mention? Which are you using?  Have you looked
at the other one?

It looks pretty realistic to me, I guess you mean it doesn't show building
outlines, but that's why I chose the DTM version.

Of course I know that the rationale for the data is for flood risk
evaluation so recording building profiles was not the objective - but
you never know how something could be re-purposed!

In the blog article
(http://chris-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/more-lidar-goodness.html) I explain
a bit about the difference between DSM and DTM. DSM does include building
outlines. I've processed a small part of the data to see them. Here's an
example of a TIFF of DSM data with the building outlines:
http://raggedred.net/shared/ta0230.tif

Suitably processed this could provide a source of building outlines.

I'm not sure about the age of some of the data. Some recently-built flood
alleviation measures do not show on this EA data but do show on the Bing
aerial imagery

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly