I noticed via overpass-turbo there's quite a lot of place=farm to the north of Dundee, which seem to have all been added by the same person. http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/inl

Many of them have the place=farm node on top of an unnamed farmyard way, for example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3922104085 - surely the name should just be added to the farmyard?

On 13/09/2016 13:29, Dave F wrote:
Hi
Off on a slight tangent.

There's been an increase (world wide) in the use of place=farm. If you fill out the boxes on this site you'll see: http://taghistory.raifer.tech/
Over 19k are in GB: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/tags/place=farm

The reason for the increase could be it being displayed in the OSM carto rendering
Just one example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4364588497

I believe many, if not all, are misinterpretations & should be landuse=farmyard. The wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Farm says "a place named by a name of a farm" To me, that means a collection of houses not associated with the farm being collectively given the name of that farm, so in effect, a hamlet has been named, say, Manor Farm.

Is that a common occurrence? I know of no such in my locale.

Dave F.