On 22/04/2017 20:43, Elizabeth Oldham wrote:

Anyway. I noticed on your maps you have multiple ldpnwn labels along the routes, like the Cumbria Way, and Coast to Coast. I've been unable to get more than one or two labels. I've been searching but it's usually the other way around - you have too many labels and need to space them out. Is there a trick I'm missing?

I may have got hold of completely the wrong end of the stick here, but assuming I understand the question properly, I think you're asking how two names appear for trails at e.g. https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=14&lat=53.14563&lon=-1.75507 ?

What's happening is that at https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L2320 a "highway=ldpnwn" tag is being added for each relation, and then at https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/openstreetmap-carto-AJT/blob/master/roads.mss#L1705 the purple dots are added, and at https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/openstreetmap-carto-AJT/blob/master/roads.mss#L3088 the text-spacing defines how far apart the labels go.

Because they are "just highways that happen to overlap each other" as far as Mapnik is concerned, it makes sure that the names don't overlap on the map. I wrote a diary entry at http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/38988 about it.

Best Regards,

Andy