My original solution when I changed the living streets back to normal roads
a few months back was to just add extra tags to highlight the features of
the scheme: access, traffic calming, surface, maxspeed:practical etc. I
have just received a message from contributor 'lakedistrict' who raised the
issue back then, supporting the way I tagged the roads.

Andy, this scheme does have its own signs
https://designnotes.blog.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/53/2014/07/Screen-Shot-2014-07-07-at-12.15.04.png
but it doesn't seem to be an official designation in the same way as Home
Zones/Quiet Lanes so maybe if it needs a specific tag, 'designation' isn't
entirely appropriate. Is it better considered a form of traffic calming?
How about traffic_calming=shared_space?

Michael, thanks for the Poynton example. To me that clearly shows why it
shouldn't be a separate category of highway. It looks like two A roads and
a tertiary road cease to exist upon entering the town centre. There is a
tertiary road similarly affected in Preston

Adam