Okay, To summarise the discussion so far. Most respondents thought that
highway=living_street was not the correct tag for shared use. Nobody
explicitly supported this usage. Most seemed to think that there should be
a specific tag for shared use to be used in addition to established tags
such as access, surface etc.
shared_use=yes, traffic_calming=shared_use and highway=shared_use were
suggested as tags, with no-one so far objecting to the simple tag
shared_use=yes initially suggested by Colin Smale.

Does anyone have any further suggestions or object to the use of
shared_use=yes? If it is acceptable I propose to change the roads in
Preston back to their prior highway classification (unclassified and
tertiary) and add the shared_use=yes tag.

Kind regards,

Adam