Many thanks to @Richard Fairhurst, @Warin and @ Paul Berry for their
encouragement and help.  I will have a go at making the amendments using the iD
Editor.
I'm not sure how soon that will happen, though, as I hear that Christmas is
coming and Grandads like me are meant to spend time with their families, not on
the computer.
Before I start, I have one more question:
@Richard Fairhurst said, "It's more important that the route is unambiguous,
i.e. the member ways all join to form a single route without unnecessary
branches and loops."
However, the Sustrans map shows some dead-end branches (presumably to link into
other infrastructure, such as roads and other cyclepaths).  There are 2 that
are relevant here; one is marked on the ground (probably because it was part of
the old route), but the other is not.  I do not propose to include the unmarked
one, but what about the one that is marked?  Should I include it, or not?
Regards,Peter