Hi,

Apologies, there was something else I meant to mention.

Some locations have a very low number of building polygons per capita (i.e.
implying high number of people per building). This may be **suggestive** of
locations that are under-mapped. This bears out in some of suburbs on the
Kilkenny side of Waterford city, where there are lots of unmappable (tree cover
and fuzzy images) garden sheds, etc. There are other reasons for this, like
apartment buildings, terraced houses mapped as building=terrace, etc.

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 14:38, Donie Kelly <donie.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Don’t buildings have tags? Did I see a residential tag? Is it used in all
> cases?

Yes, buildings can be given detailed descriptions, e.g. building=house,
building=apartments. However, about half of the buildings on the island just
use building=yes. Only saying building=yes gets the building on the map
quickly, makes them readily findable and lets other mappers fill in details
later. Not all buildings are readily identifiable from aerial images and
details like number of storeys can be even harder to determine.

Note that building=residential can be used for buildings that are residential,
but the type isn't readily identifiable, e.g. I saw some semi-detached houses
in Kilkenny that were attached back-to-back instead of side-to-side.

Interpreting the total number of buildings on the island from the total number
of, say houses, would be more complicated than comparing number of buildings in
Kilkenny to the number of buildings on the island.

On Thu, 14 May 2020 11:47:29 Tadeusz Cantwell <t4d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The residential tag should be used for an area not a house.

Yes, landuse=residential should be used for residential sites / estates /
neighbourhoods. The iD editor now supports additional sub-tags, e.g.
residential=rural, residential=apartments and residential=halting_site You can
also add name=* to the likes of housing estates, which can help detail the
hierarchy of a town.

Colm