Hi Paul,

How do passengers know where to go and stand if there are no physical
markers? I think a bus stop should be able to be defined by the fact the
driver knows where to halt and the passengers know where to wait. Isn't
that 'convention' also some sort of ground truth? I"m sure this case
happens in many countries around the world, although in some of those
countries it may be the case a bus can be flagged at any point on its
itinerary. Of course, as soon as roads become busier, that's not
possible/practical anymore.

I've been working a few years adding almost 70000 stops for a small
country. That was a lot of work, of course. But now I notice that adding
and maintaining the routes is even more work, hence the creation of the
script to automate the process where possible.

One of the problems I faced is that when I needed to fix a route, I had to
apply the same fix to all the variations of that route, over and over
again. Now I do it once, creating a 'golden  route', then letting the
script take care of the others. It's still some work, as I need to check
manually if the code got it right, route by route.

Concerning the roles, I guess they may help JOSM and iD when people split
ways, although I think JOSM gets that right without them already. A bigger
problem is people joining ways, which results in stumps that are not
connected to the next way anymore. And of course, deleting ways,
potentially replacing them by new ones.

Jo