On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm importing the USFS data for the Ocala National Forest boundary.
> >> There's the actual forest boundary, and there are private inholdings
> >> inside the boundary that are not owned by the USFS. For flexibility,
> >> I'm making a multipolygon for each. But which one is the "real"
> >> boundary? What tags go on each?
> >
> > You're creating separate multipolygons for each of the private
> inholdings?
> > You should be creating one multipolygon with several internal ring ways
> as
> > "inner" members of the multipolygon relation. The whole multipolygon
> > relation should have whatever tags you've decided on and the member ways
> > should not have any tags.
>
> That's what I'm doing. But I then have two multipolygons: one for the
> "forest boundary" and one for this boundary minus the inholdings. The
> difference is nontrivial, since some of the inholdings go right up to
> the "forest boundary", implying that the forest actually in some way
> includes these inholdings.

Are you manufacturing the "forest boundary" outer ring or is it coming from
the shapefile?

I don't think you should imply that there is a "natural=forest" boundary
logically separate from the National Forest's boundary. Assuming you're
using USFS's shapefiles, there should be one thing in there: the boundary of
the national forest. If there are "holes in the forest" anywhere (including
directly on the external border), then they should be inner polygons of a
multipolygon.