Anthony writes:
 > I agree that DWG has the authority to act, here.  But as I understand it,
 > the authority of DWG comes from OSMF, not from the OSM community.

The DWG is specifically asking if it should have the authority to
act. Please read the beginning message of this thread.

 > Additionally, now would be a good time to work toward more formal standards
 > for tagging.  While I disagree that mappers should be bound by unwritten
 > convention, I do think it would be useful to adopt RFC-style agreed upon
 > tagging standards.

No. Never have, don't need to. What we *do* need are several rules for
tagging:

 1) Don't change somebody else's edit unless you are acting on
    evidence you can produce to the DWG.
 2) If you're remote, don't change somebody's edit if they're
    local. Instead, ask them if you should make a change.
 3) Tag according to the documentation in the wiki.
 4) Don't change the documentation in the wiki.
 5) Document how you tag in the wiki (which is only necessary if #3 or
    #4 keep you from tagging in the manner you believe correct).

These rules would reduce the amount of coordination needed and
conflict produced betweeen editors.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog