On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net> wrote:
> there's been a bit of talk about running street name expansion over the
> eastern US.

By "a bit of talk", I'm going to assume you mean the talking I did two
weeks ago on the Google Hangout regarding bringing back my bot and
working on it- which I've done, and will announce soon (with a period
for more discission).

> i'm reasonably happy with what i've seen in the expanded Tiger 2012 tiles,
> the
> name expansion algorithm looks pretty good.

Yes, there was some cross polination there, and where they can't share
algorithms, it's for a (mostly political) reason.

> however, should we perhaps also run expansion over the addr:street tags at
> the same time?

When the process (not just the bot but the process itself) is ready to
announce, there will be a period where we'll have a review and
discussion, but my first inclination is that while folks have shown an
interest in running multiple bots at once, my feeling is that doing so
is a bad idea, as the more things one program tries to do at once, the
more we're both introducing complexity at the code level, and more
importantly, at the process level.

I'd rather do a more narrow set, be finished, and then work on the
next problem, rather than trying to solve all problems at once.

In fact, the reason that there's this delay in getting the bot out
isn't the bot itself (which is ready for review and discussion) but
because we need a way to handle the people process of working through
these issues.

> i'm becoming involved in the effort to get house number addressing and
> routing working in mkgmap and it'd be nice if it could be presumed that
> addr:street on an address and name on a street probably matched without
> doing any fooling around.

I think that's a great idea.

- Serge