> It might be because this road seems to have two type suffixes: Branch
> and Road. But the TIGER data model only allows for one so they shoved
> the first one into the name field. Ideally (IMO) they should have put
> "Branch" in its unabbreviated form into the name field. But I guess
> that would have been too easy. Have you found very many of these?

It looks like each TIGER group came up with their own decision of what to
populate in each field. You'd think there
would have been a standard, at least for common suffixes and prefixes.

I pulled the TIGER 2012 data for just one county, Jackson, in NC.  There
were
510 Br suffixes. Someone from the area might be able to help out, but
that's a lot just for one county.  There are also 422
roads with Branch in the name. Most with Rd as a suffix.  A few with Trl
and some with no suffix.

> I suppose one could try to find abbreviations in the name field... but
> that might get messy. At the end of the day, no algorithm can correct
> for some of the quirks in the source data so we have to accept some of
> the glitches.

My point was that we don't want to introduce any errors into the data.
 Let's get the bot to do it
right the first time. I'd think it would be better if we leave known
problems for people familiar with the area to do manually.  Is it possible
add logic to the script to solve this?  Like if the way is located in x
county, then Br = Branch else Bridge?

Clifford