Serge Wroclawski writes:
 > My opinion is that this is a single data source issue. Unlike other
 > data that we collect, there is nothing in the ground indicating the
 > existence of this as a route. There's no sign indicating where the
 > route is, so there's be no way to collect this data other than by
 > looking at an external dataset and either importing or tracing.

You're just a little bit insane, Serge. Let's say that I follow this
route on my bicycle using a cue sheet and keep a GPS track. Then I load
my GPS track into JOSM and create a relation and call it USBRS #47 (or
whatever). How is this an import??

 > I think that's an import, because it's taking external data and
 > applying it to OSM without even the potential for ground validation.

You're twigging this as an import because there aren't any signs on
the ground. What if I post my cue sheet on a sign? Again, how does
this become an import?

It bears none of the problems of imports:
  o imports create a whole new set of nodes.
  o imports can have copyright issues.
  o imports can be non-human-scale.
  o imports can be data dumps that don't get maintained.
  o imports make bulk changes to the database.

This is nothing like that. Your *only* reason for calling this an
import is because there aren't any signs. Yet. That reason isn't good
enough to call it an "import".

 > We have a lot of data that we could include in OSM that would be
 > useful.

Everything that people care about having in a map is useful. You don't
care about this. Fine. Somebody else doesn't care about something you
want in OSM. Imagine *cooperating* with other people.

 > I think that this kind of data doesn't belong in OSM.

And when you see it on OpenCycleMap? Does it belong there? Should we
fork the database now, so that we have a Serge OSM and a Nelson OSM
and a USBRS OSM? Remember what I said earlier: a little bit insane.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog