On 10/22/2018 2:56 PM, Rory McCann wrote:
Hi Mike.

Thanks for the answers, that clears things up. Buuuut....

On 10/22/2018 5:00 AM, Rory McCann wrote: >> I'm a little unclear about one big question: What are you doing with
the existing data in OSM? Existing OSM data seems to have nearly identical locations to this new data. You're just going to update existing OSM data? Do you know how much existing OSM data needs to be updated?

   All existing data will be reviewed.   Most of it will add the surface attribute and lanes if visible from imagery and remove the tiger:reviewed attribute.   So nearly everything will be modified.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm having a brain fart, but I'm still confused. It
sounds like you're going to look at all existing OSM roads in that
county and manually review them? Just going through and fixing them up
and removing tiger:* tags, and keeping the existing roads in OSM? That
sounds great. But that's a regular map-a-thon, not an import. What do
you need this new data for? If I'm reading you right, this new data from
the county won't be used at all? Right?

You're not going to *replace* the existing OSM data with this new data, right? You're not going to delete the existing OSM data, right?

If you (& friends) are going to fix up the roads, you don't need to talk
to this list. Just go ahead and do it! That's not an import. Just tracing from the imagery you created from this data isn't an import. That's just using a new imagery source. You can just go ahead and do that.

If you want to find new roads that aren't in OSM, load OSM & this new data into postgres, and look for roads in the new dataset that are far (>10m?) from anything in OSM. Should be quicker than humans looking at all. 😉 (Do you know how to do that?)

There will be 50 to 200 streets of new data used for new subdivisions. I suppose that I could have created sets of data for "These might be renamed", "These might be imported" , "These might be adjusted" , "These might be deleted" (Because a diff doesn't identify which one is right) , then not bothered to mention the additional review which would indeed just be a local project.

  If this is deemed not to be an import, then we will begin immediately.