On Tue, Oct 15, 2019, 16:39 Mike Thompson <miketh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 2:28 PM Bradley White <theangrytom...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes I understand that, that is what the landuse tag is for. Private
>> land should tagged as private. Public land should be tagged as public.
>> The 'access' tag is probably preferable for this, and it's what I use.
>> My point is that none of this involves the NF boundary, and to please
>> leave it alone because it's a pain to fix problems with it.
>>
> I understand and generally agree.  One point is that the NFS may have made
> arrangements with the landowner such that some access by the public is
> permitted.  I say this because an official USFS trail (Crosier Mountain
> Trail)[1] crosses private land and there are no signs saying "No
> Trespassing"

Once again, I deal with what I think is an exact parallel in New York. If
there's a public-access easement on private land, I outline the easement or
map the trail and put the appropriate access constraints (and
boundary=protected_area+protect_class, if appropriate) on it.

I haven't done very many of these for want of reliable data.  One set that
I have done is that there are a good many public-access lands in the
Catskill Mountains for which New York City's Bureau of Water Supply is the
'private' landowner. These are mapped (within the boundary=national_park of
the Catskill Park) as things like leisure=nature_reserve
boundary=protected_area protect_class=12 protection_object=water
access=private foot=yes. (There are other tag combinations, once again,
because there are regulations pertaining to specific parcels).

Sample situations:

Administrative border of the Catskill Park:

New York City public-access inholding within the Catskill Park:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/424227080 Note that the highway
right-of-way is a state-owned inholding within that. (The road is private
once you cross onto New York City lands and the gate is ordinarily locked
to prohibit motor vehicle traffic. They unlock it in the winter to allow
snowmobiles through)

One parcel of public-access land that the state owns in allodium (being
sovereign, the state does not hold in fee), within the park. Note exclaves
of this holding, plus private inholdings mapped by exclusion:

A single-purpose recreation area (again, state-owned, although privately
operated) within the Park, again with private inholdings:

A private inholding (untagged) within a Wild Forest area (one tier below
Wilderness), within the Catskill Park:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/428667447 within
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6375713 within

A public footway mostly on public land, but with portions that cross
private inholdings: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/286143201

What sort of thing am I failing to model here?