On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:30 AM Michael Patrick <geodes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And size is no determination of importance, because the 'rules' are
> dramatically different for different agencies and departments. Some of these
> provide access, The Magruder Corridor easement is basically the width of the
> track, between two wilderness areas, similarly various boat landing on lakes
> etc. Other very small areas, which have VERY nice gravel roads leading to
> them, will result in an armed response. "There have been 12 Minuteman missile
> sites constructed on the ( Pawnee, Forest Service ) ) grassland. These fenced
> areas (approximately two acres each) are  US Air Force and public access is
> not permitted."

It's the same as any land use multipolygon that has an enclave that's
a different land use. Map what an area *is*, not what it *isn't.*

Tag the missile site (and the road and right-of-way, if appropriate)
landuse=military access=no. (Use a multipolygon if necessary). Have
the military area's boundary be an inner way of the multipolygon
representing the National Forest holding (as opposed to the larger
administrative boundary).

Camp Santanoni https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6396527 shows a
state historic site that comprises four parcels of land plus the
right-of-way of the access road, which in turn is for most of its
length the boundary between Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest and
High Peaks Wilderness. (It's within the huge administrative boundary
of the Adirondack Park.)  To the east of it, MacIntyre Primitive Area
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8430831 comprises a pair of
corridors snipped out of High Peaks Wilderness in order to allow
access to private holdings over existing jeep roads. (It's complicated
- the High Peaks Wilderness was expanded by land purchase a few years
back, and there are still some unexpired leaseholds within it, and
former leaseholds being dismantled, requiring occasional motor vehicle
access for the demolition.) The legal rights-of-way of the roads that
are cut out extend two rods (about 10 m) on either side of the road
centerline; a right-of-way one chain wide is pretty much the default
for rural roads in New York, so that's where the cutout runs. There
are inconsistencies in the mapping here, and I haven't been able to do
the field work needed to resolve them, but I think these examples, if
you squint, show how it's meant to work. Camp Santanoni has a
different landuse from the surrounding wilderness, and that's
indicated by making it a separate feature.

I can't readily find an example of a military area embedded in forest
land, but I've got a couple where they abut, and the approach to the
topology is pretty much the same.  West Point
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/175474 abuts and shares
boundaries with numerous outher land uses, including three state
parks, an NGO-managed forest, a cemetery, a country club, and a river.
There are cutouts in the military area for the rights-of-way of four
or five highways, and a railroad. Across the river, Camp Smith
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6440291 is a military area
surrounded on three sides by state park. I used a shared border there,
as well, and discuss the reasoning in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ke9tv/diary/42951. West Point has a
number of subsidiary land uses (recreation grounds, stadia, parking,
residences, schools, houses of worship, theatres, even a golf course)
embedded in it, but these are all for military use only so are not cut
out of the landuse=military area.

Really, once you accept the approach of "the administrative area is a
large outer (multi)polygon, and the holding in fee (or in allodium in
the case of the state land I'm working with) is a smaller
(multi)polygon within it, and any inholdings are inner ways of that
(which in turn may have their own tagging if they are also mapped
features), it comes together to represent an arbitrary topology. In
the Camp Santanoni case, we have the Adirondack Park
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1695394 as the (outermost)
administrative boundary; the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6362588 as the state-owned
forest tract, and Camp Santanoni
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6396527 being a near-enclave
within that.

I don't assert that this is 100% the 'right' way to do things, but it
works well enough that I can plan a trail-less trip and know whether
I'll be trespassing, whether I need to bring my New York City
watershed access card, and so on. And nobody's been offended enough by
the way it's been done that thye've reverted or brought the wrath of
the DWG down upon me.
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin