Tod Fitch <t...@fitchfamily.org> writes:

> I’ve noticed that a number of counties in California and Arizona have
> what seems to be unneeded alt_name tags in their boundary
> relations. For example Pima County, Arizona has name=“Pima County” and
> alt_name=“Pima”. Same for Pinal County in Arizona and Riverside,
> Orange, Kern and Ventura counties in California. But this does not
> seem universal as the few counties I looked at in Washington state
> have only a name=* tag (e.g. name=“Columbia County”).

This seems bogus and feels like tagging for the search engine.

I think the root of the problem is that from some point of view, the
name of Foo County is Foo, just like the name of Town of Bar is Bar.

> I don’t see a wiki page for the standard for this in the United States. Is
> there one I’ve missed?
>
> Assuming there is not standard for this, should there be? And what should it
> be? (My preference is to remove an alt_name that is simply the name without
> “County”.)
>
> For what it is worth, it looks like the alt_names for counties in Arizona and
> California were added in 2014 by the user “revent” who is still actively
> mapping borders around the world.

Definitely ask them about it, and if they aren't local, and the locals
don't like it, fix it.   (Is there a talk-us-califoria list?)