Bill Ricker <bill.n1...@gmail.com> writes:

> A manufactured armchair consensus, however long on a Wiki, may still be
> wrong on the ground.

This point bears more complicated dicussion, but I think it's clear that
something that was rough consensus in a general sense has been
misrepresented to become a hard rule and a thing with a life of its own.
People may have agreed with the notion that "admin_level is generally
used to represent things in the hierarchy of governments".  Reality is
messy and we are functioning as geographers here.  Part of the issue is
that the US is (almost, AK) entirely divided into counties, and the
federal government considers counties a real thing.  So it is far more
reasonable and helpful to represent all counties the same way, accepting
fuzz on the degree to which they have government (which is highly
variable anyway), than to make a tortuous cut point and declare some of
them non-real.  If somebody wants to have tag for admin_level that's a
scale of 0 to 100 of how real their government is, that's fine.  The
problem is telling some people that their subdivisions aren't real, when
that's not how the locals feel, and it's not how a geographer looking at
the whole US would see it.

(Agreed with your analysis that says "counties no longer exist" is wrong.)

> If we the OSM are the Basemap to the World, not having Counties for CT and
> RI as the same admin_level=6  as all the other states very awkward for our
> downstream users.

A huge point.  We must remember why we are creating a map.

> (My Ward and Precinct do not have elective officers nor staff of
> government, but are accepted as admin_level=9 and 10 respectively; likewise
> Neighborhood admin_level=10, Unincorporated community admin_level=8 need
> not have officers nor staff.)

I was going to point out ward/precint.  My town has two precincts.  They
were created solely because of some state rule that precincts (a voting
thing) cannot be bigger than so many people.  So we have 1 and 2, and an
arbitrary line.  When you get to the single election place, you have to
look at the map, sort yourself into 1 or 2 and go to one or the other
checkin table, go to the matching voting booths, and the matching
checkout table and ballot box.  These totals are reported separately,
for no actual reason and then promptly added.   This is  an artifact of
no lasting value, and I would say 1% as worthy as being mapped as
counties in Rhode Island.   In Rhode Island, people know what county
they live in.  In my town, *I* don't even remember what precint I live
in, and I'm a map nerd and a former town official.

> The CT  "Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) Council" is the strategic
> alliance of producers and consumers of GIS in Conn Govt, in lieu of a
> consolidated GIS department. Their Geographic Framework Data strategy
> <https://www.ct.gov/gis/lib/gis/ct_geographic_framework_data_-_1-3-11.pdf>
> [2006/2011] specifically calls *County* an "*Administrative Boundary*" in
> (p.19, excerpted below) ; conversely RPO is listed as a *Thematic* basemap
> (p.12) but *not* named as an "Administrative Boundary" (emphasis on *county*
> supplied):

That's interesting information.

> CODACIL -  RHODE ISLAND
> The situation in RI is the same as Connecticut - the state is still lawfully
> *divided* into Counties
> <http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE42/42-3/INDEX.HTM>, but
> there is no *government* at County.
> In fact, RI Counties are slightly *more* real than Conn Counties; RI
> Counties still have County Towns
> <http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE42/42-3/42-3-1.HTM>.
> (What Mass. and Olde England called Shire Towns. Conn Judicial Districts'
> Court Towns are the same thing under a new name.)

That seems like clear evidence of an adminstrative subdivision.