On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 1:27 PM Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-us <
talk-us@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Jul 20, 2020, 15:32 by o...@dead10ck.com:
>
> I was going to make a subpage of New York with the title of "NYS GIS
> Clearinghouse", and include a link to it in the Potential Data sources
> page. I'm not sure if it's possible to upload and serve arbitrary files in
> the wiki; if so, I was going to upload that raw email file.
>
> Is this email a text-only email? That I would create a page where
> section/text would quote it.
>
> I moved page to
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_York/NYS_GIS_Clearinghouse
>
> It is just stub, so feel free to expand it.

I don't have time just at the moment for extensive Wiki editing. (Maybe
tonight.)

It's worth noting that the NYSDEC data sets listed under
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#Statewide are
also hosted at gis.ny.gov and fall under the same rubric. (The obsolete
metadata are still present, by the way - but it appears that the only part
of the metadata that actually gets updated is the calendar date of the most
recent update.) I'm sure, for instance, that 'Microsoft Windows XP version
5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 3', is no longer the native data set
environment!

It might also be worth noting that
https://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/inventories/details.cfm?DSID=430 (New York State
Historic Sites and Park Boundaries) has been used extensively in revising
and correcting state park boundaries, which were also compared with what
mappers had already mapped, with the data from county GIS systems, and with
data from adjoining mapped parcels. For instance, Harriman, Bear Mountain,
and Storm King state parks share boundaries with West Point and with the
NGO-owned-and-operated Black Rock Forest. Hudson Highlands State Park
shares a boundary with Camp Smith. Moreau Lake State park shares a boundary
with a brownfield [a closed state prison] and with a small DEC parcel. John
Brown Farm State Historic Site borders the Lake Placid Olympic ski complex
and the Saranac Lakes Wild Forest. In some cases, _no_extant GIS system had
the correct boundary, and an alignment was created specifically for OSM:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ke9tv/diary/42951 illustrates the
process for one of these. In other cases, more information was needed, so
boundaries were intentionally left  unconflated and their inconsistencies
unresolved - the border between the Allegany Indian reservation and
Allegany State Park is one of these.

Since everything was redrawn when I reworked the NY State Parks, I didn't
call that one an 'import' - it was manual editing with reference to
multiple (OSM and external) data sources.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin