> I don't know that I agree with "suburbs have had a very clear definition
> in the United States for decades."  To wit, some would say that a "suburb"
> can be an incorporated city that is smaller than, but "associated with"
> (and maybe even sharing a partial contiguous boundary with) a larger city,
> of which it "is a suburb."  (For example, Bellevue to Seattle, or El Cajon
> to San Diego).  These are quite precisely defined as incorporated cities
> with rather exact boundaries.

This is the only definition I've ever encountered in the US. I don't think
anyone who lives in Seattle would consider Wallingford, Fremont, or
Magnolia to be suburbs, much like nobody would consider the Upper East Side
or SoHo to be suburbs of New York City.

The all-knowing Wikipedia agrees with Minh [1], it looks like OSM uses the
UK/Aus/NZ/Ireland definition of suburb. That usage does not reconcile well
with the American usage which is more of a relational definition (Y is a
suburb of X). It seems like the proper procedure is to avoid using the tag
at all and use neighbourhood instead (if a tag is required). This
contradicts the OSM wiki but seems like the only way to avoid confusion.
The only reason I can think of to use 'suburb' as a tag in the context of
the United States would be if a tag indicating 'central city' or something
similar was introduced.

Just my two cents.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb

--