Ray,
Thanks for taking on the task of fixing the tribal boundaries. From
personal experience of having done a number of these, it's hard work and
easy to make errors. But don't let that discourage you. It feels great once
you're complete.

One note - as far as I know, tribal boundaries should just be
boundary=aboriginal_lands. Admin levels are designed for areas tagged
boundary=administrative. Because tribal lands/reservations have a unique
standings they should just be tagged boundary=aboriginal_lands.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need help.

Clifford

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:03 PM Ray Kiddy <r...@ganymede.org> wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I am seeing an interesting editing task at the eastern edge of Riverside
> County in California. As of now, I am not expert enough in JOSM to do
> it, but I will, at some point, be able to do it and I will do it then.
> Unless someone else wants it.
>
> I am starting to add lines to define the city boundaries of Blythe, CA.
> Almost nothing is there in OSM.
>
> But the interesting bit is at the nothern part of the eastern edge of
> the city boundary. This line in the Colorado River actually separates
> the states of California and Arizona and is the eastern boarder of
> Blythe but it is also the western border of the Colorado River Indian
> Tribes Reservation (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/702934460).
>
> The issue is that the southern border of the reservation actually
> crosses the CA-AZ state line and this is not seen in OSM. It has a "toe"
> sort of shape, facing west. See the eastern edge of the map below.
>
> https://gis.countyofriverside.us/Html5Viewer/?viewer=MMC_Public
>
> So, what I think I need to do is:
>
> 1) Change the reservation from a way into a relation with the proper
> admin level. (Done)
>
> 1a) Fix the southern border of the reservation, which should cover the
> road there. The reservation does not include the road in OSM.
>
> 2) Split the way that currently cuts off the toe, but I need to not muck
> up the CA-AZ border.
>
> 3) Add the lines for the toe. This also involves moving the northern
> edge of the Palo Verde Ecological Reserve, whose northern edge is too
> far north in OSM.
>
> 4) Actually the nothern edge of the eco reserve needs to be split off
> because it is now also the border of the reservation.
>
> 5) Add the ways created for the norther edge of the toe into the
> reservation's relation.
>
> And that is it. And I need to not break all of the other things around.
> Easy peasy! :--)
>
> I am open to any suggestions. On the other hand, I am willing to do
> these things when I figure out some of the advanced stuff in JOSM. Fun
> stuff.
>
> cheers - ray

@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us