The boundary is good, but will be better once you incorporate the existing
boundary between California and Arizona (and some others).

Your next step will be to merge the duplicate boundary area, where the
tribe and state boundaries are the same. Do that by splitting the
reservation boundary where they coincide with the other boundaries. split
border boundary at the same spot. In the JOSM relation editor for the
reservation, add the existing state boundary. If correct, the boundary
should be a closed way.

Best,
Clifford

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 5:32 PM Ray Kiddy <r...@ganymede.org> wrote:

> On 11/9/20 3:07 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
>
> Ray,
> Thanks for taking on the task of fixing the tribal boundaries. From
> personal experience of having done a number of these, it's hard work and
> easy to make errors. But don't let that discourage you. It feels great once
> you're complete.
>
> One note - as far as I know, tribal boundaries should just be
> boundary=aboriginal_lands. Admin levels are designed for areas tagged
> boundary=administrative. Because tribal lands/reservations have a unique
> standings they should just be tagged boundary=aboriginal_lands.
>
> Feel free to contact me directly if you need help.
>
> Clifford
>
> When I was creating the relation, I found the "boundary=aboriginal_lands"
> thing.
>
> Give a shout if you see anything wrong with this.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/11867393
>
> And I have not yet, of course, added the bit that will cross into
> California.
>
> cheers - ray
>

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:03 PM Ray Kiddy <r...@ganymede.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello -
>>
>> I am seeing an interesting editing task at the eastern edge of Riverside
>> County in California. As of now, I am not expert enough in JOSM to do
>> it, but I will, at some point, be able to do it and I will do it then.
>> Unless someone else wants it.
>>
>> I am starting to add lines to define the city boundaries of Blythe, CA.
>> Almost nothing is there in OSM.
>>
>> But the interesting bit is at the nothern part of the eastern edge of
>> the city boundary. This line in the Colorado River actually separates
>> the states of California and Arizona and is the eastern boarder of
>> Blythe but it is also the western border of the Colorado River Indian
>> Tribes Reservation (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/702934460).
>>
>> The issue is that the southern border of the reservation actually
>> crosses the CA-AZ state line and this is not seen in OSM. It has a "toe"
>> sort of shape, facing west. See the eastern edge of the map below.
>>
>> https://gis.countyofriverside.us/Html5Viewer/?viewer=MMC_Public
>>
>> So, what I think I need to do is:
>>
>> 1) Change the reservation from a way into a relation with the proper
>> admin level. (Done)
>>
>> 1a) Fix the southern border of the reservation, which should cover the
>> road there. The reservation does not include the road in OSM.
>>
>> 2) Split the way that currently cuts off the toe, but I need to not muck
>> up the CA-AZ border.
>>
>> 3) Add the lines for the toe. This also involves moving the northern
>> edge of the Palo Verde Ecological Reserve, whose northern edge is too
>> far north in OSM.
>>
>> 4) Actually the nothern edge of the eco reserve needs to be split off
>> because it is now also the border of the reservation.
>>
>> 5) Add the ways created for the norther edge of the toe into the
>> reservation's relation.

> [...]

@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch