brendan barrett wrote:
> There's no need to chat to them about feeding data back as they are
> not going to maintain their data moving forward. They told me that
> they are going to switch to using data from the local mapping company
> (the same one Google Earth is getting its data from).

Truly terrible! I can think of nothing worse.

The South African Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) of 2000
(http://www.acts.co.za/prom_of_access_to_info/) gives every citizen the
right to information held by the State at the cost of distribution! (eg
the price of a blank CD).

Once the City of Cape Town licenses the data from Navteq / Teleatlas /
BCX / Whoever this becomes NULL and void. Yes, GIS data is expensive to
maintain, but it's absolutely vital for the functioning of a modern
society and increasingly for online activities.

Brendan: can you find out more information? Who, What, How... and
details of how this will effect the Promotion of Access to Information
Act 2000 from the City of Cape Town.

/ Grant