On 17/01/2008 20:51, Gregory wrote:

> "All canals have towpaths"
> No. Some canals are now disused so sections of the towpath are gone (now
> private land/buildings etc.), some canals aren't for navigation/boats (I
> know of one used to supply a fountain by Hampton Court Palace and the
> man-made river/canal runs for several miles).

The canals I was sailing on in the Irish Republic last summer didn't
have towpaths. Indeed that was a frustration because you couldn't moor
just anywhere like you can on the English canals.

> I think locks were changed to nodes rather than ways so the gate was
> actually marked and so this was helpful on those staircase locks that
> have more than one gate.

See also
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Lock
which has been around since I first joined but not moved forward mainly
due to my not pushing it.

David