Gervase Markham wrote
>Sent: 17 January 2008 10:43 PM
>To: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Mapping canals
>
>Gregory wrote:
>> "All canals have towpaths"
>> No.
>
>OK, yes, that was a generalisation. Almost all canals on the used
>sections of recreational canal on the map I gave a link to have
>towpaths. The vast majority of canals have towpaths.
>
>> I think locks were changed to nodes rather than ways so the gate was
>> actually marked and so this was helpful on those staircase locks that
>> have more than one gate.
>
>Every lock has more than one gate - at minimum, they have a top gate and
>a bottom gate, and some have two of each. A simple staircase lock has
>two chambers and three gates.
>
>> I think there is someone on OSM who lives on a canal boat, or does quite
>> a bit of canal boating. I seem to remember them providing some input
>> into discussions, but can't remember who they are.
>
>:-( Maybe they'll pipe up.

I'm sure RichardF will pipe up at some point (he's your man with the
narrowboat). I've also tagged a fair few locks so far. Because this area has
evolved somewhat since we started mapping it is time that we came up with an
improved set of tags for all things on the navigable waterways.

I moved to tagging each (top/bottom) gate some time ago but it was a stopgap
measure (since gates within a staircase are both top and bottom), together
with associated lock info on the way between. I still think its right to map
the individual components as it's much easier to control the rendering and
enables a lot more information to be added about the construction of the
lock. This is of interest on a canal map.

There is the partial proposal at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Lock and that's
probably the logical location to set out further ideas.

Cheers

Andy