Dermot McNally wrote:

> Up until now, all such units have, by OSM convention, been stored in
> metric units, which obviously suits me just fine.

That's just not true - there are plenty of maxspeed=something imperial
in the database.

TBH I don't see the difficulty in those few clients which need to use
speed/width information adding these three lines of code:

if ($is_measurement{$key} and $tag{$key}=~/(\d+)\s*(.+)/) {
   $tag{$key}=$1*$conversion_factor{$2};
}

given the already vast amount of processing they'll need to do to OSM
data for their purposes. (Theoretically this should be in a standard
OSM library but AFAIK these are at their early stages.)

But then, I'm the author of an editor rather than a routing client, so
I would say that. :)

cheers
Richard