On 04/02/2008, Gervase Markham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Note: canal measurements are given in feet and inches, as "\d+ft(
> \d+in)?". That is, a number, followed by "ft" as an abbreviation, a
> space, and then optionally a number and "in".

I can't tell if this is your words or something you've quoted, and I
can't find it under the links you've provided. But is anybody
suggesting that canals (worldwide) _must_ be measured in feet and
inches? The closest we had come to this in the earlier discussions was
that many felt that it should be _permissible_ to do so, and even then
it was looking like many of the options available were going to be
very messy.

Dermot