Hi,

> I really don't mind what the rendered colours are, that is for local
> discussion and there may even be multiple versions with different styles
> as far as I am concerned

Agree.

> but currently the rendering is uk-centric

Which comes as no surprise given that the project was started in the
UK and most of the people involved in rendering live there.

> and that seems inappropriate for the USA and seems to be causing
> distortions with tagging.

This last point is a bit difficult to understand for me. Over here in
Germany, nobody would draw their motorways in blue or their trunk
roads in green, ever. But to my knowledge, no mapper as ever reacted
by tagging his motorways "secondary" only to get the "right" colour!

We have often said that providing *maps* is not our main business -
collecting data is. We only do maps to show off what we have. So I'd
agree with those who say why not let the Americans, and anyone else
who is unhappy, set up their own tile server? We'll surely do that for
Germany sooner or later, too.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"