>  > highway=crossing
>  > crossing=uncontrolled|traffic_signals
>  > island=yes|no
>  > bicycle=yes|no
>  > foot=yes|no
>  > horse=yes|no
>  +1.  This is almost exactly what the over-ridden proposal says

I like this - but would suggest a small change:

highway=crossing
crossing=zebra|toucan|pelican|...
crossingcontrol=no|uncontrolled|traffic_signals
island=yes|no
bicycle=yes|no
foot=yes|no
horse=yes|no

Where crossing=zebra is explicitly defined (on the wiki?) as a short cut for:

highway=crossing
crossingcontrol=uncontrolled
foot=yes
horse=no

(and any other usage of crossing= is similarly defined).  The short
cut is overridden by any of the more specific properties so:

crossing=zebra
horse=yes

Would be a normal zebra crossing which horses are allowed to use.

My feeling is this leaves lots of room for future expansion without
breaking backwards compatibility with most of the existing data.
What do people think?

--
 Brian