On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Steve Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Brian Quinion wrote:
>
>> The only problems I can see is that because it
>> is centralised it is somewhat out of user control - so maybe it should
>> make sense to pull the list of presets from a wiki page (once a day?)
>> and there would be a small amount of server side load to implement it.
>
> That would certainly be do-able.  People do need to be aware that
> exactly what a preset tag sets can change without notice as the wiki is
> updated, and that the changes will only affect new uploads though.

You're not really thinking about this in the right way. There's very
little point in inserting a filter on API uploads to implement some,
by definition, one-way mapping, working off a hacked wiki-scraping.
Inevitably that leads to data-loss. The filter should be applied in
the other direction, on reads, and at the choice of the consumer.

>> I think some sort of quick marco language would be a bonus for all the
>> editors esp. if they shared a standard format for defining them,
>> although at that point I wonder if an api change is needed -
>> downloading a formatted page from the wiki might be as easy esp. if it
>> was cached by the editor.
>
> That could be quite cool.  One thing that would be really useful is for
> the editor to tell me what options could be set for an object, and what
> their defaults are.  I.e. when I set a way to "highway=tertiary" it can
> tell me that I can set a name, ref, access restrictions, etc.  Maybe
> ordered by the popularity of the various tags and with tags that are
> semi-mandatory (such as the name of a residential road) in bold.  All
> that data can be pulled from wiki pages and tagwatch.  Sadly my Java
> skills are nonexistent. :(

Much more along the right lines, but seriously guys, web page scraping?
If you do this thing, please do it properly.

Dave