David Earl wrote:
>Sent: 13 May 2008 6:48 PM
>To: Sebastian Spaeth
>Cc: OSM
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Developers requested to help provide
>"completeness" tools
>
>On 13/05/2008 15:35, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
>> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>> Once we have a few applications in place that get viewed by *many*
>>> people, we could just have a button somewhere along the margin of the
>>> page that says: "I know the area and what I see here looks correct".
>>
>> Given that this will be the default very soon ( :-) ), I'd rather have
>> the notes API where people can click and say: "there are streets missing
>> here, I know that". No warm fuzzy feeling, but more helpful in
>> identifying weak spots.
>
>My main motivation in wanting this kind of facility is not so much to
>help _us_ identify what areas need attention, rather to help our
>_consumers_ know whether they can have any confidence in what they are
>looking at. That's why I think there needs to be a very straightforward,
>not overly onerous, but useful, metric, even if this has more levels
>accessible to those in the know. It also means that wiki solutions just
>don't cut it (I've been updating completeness pages for the areas I;ve
>been doing since I started, but it doesn't help someone looking at the
>map).
>
>Often anyone of reasonable intelligence can tell somewhere is not
>complete because only the main streets are there, but I have come across
>quite a number of places where a reasonable number of apparently random
>residential streets have been done, and whose density would suggest to
>someone who doesn't know the area that it is os plausible, when in fact
>it may only be 30% complete (for roads and names) or less.

I get this same view. All too often I look at a place and think wow, that
looks complete, but when I drum down into the data a bit it its clear that
there are general gaps and the density of streets is not what you would
expect. That's why I was testing out a completeness metrics method. But I
agree with you, what we are really after hear is a simple way to convey a
level of map usefulness and relevance to the user.

Cheers

Andy