Mark wrote:

> Maybe <grin> this is calling out for a 'bot approach, to take
> maxspeed:mph & add a numeric maxspeed, to check out
> maxspeed=30's & mark
> them in some way (restricted to UK, obviously), and to check
> for entries
> of both=30 & fix them?

<snip>

> +1 on the namespace; I'm not generally keen on it, but here it
> makes
> sense.

I'd argue that it doesn't make sense, in that if you allow both
maxspeed:mph and maxspeed as valid tags, a way may end up tagged
with both showing contradictory speed information. It makes more
sense to have maxspeed=<number><optional units; assume km/h if none
specified> to avoid the chance of that happening. It does make sense
for other situations, such as if opposite directions have different
limits (e.g. maxspeed:opposite=<number><optional units>), or if
different vehicle types have different limits (e.g.
maxspeed:psv=<number><optional units>) as these clearly can't lead
to contradictory information (assuming that if a vehicle type is
specified it overrides any other maxspeed tags).

Ed