Andy wrote:
> It's much simpler to parse maxspeed=30mph than it is to work
> out which
> one is correct when there's multiple maxspeed:[kph|mph]=30
> tags, I'd
> say. I'd try to avoid having two potentially conflicting ways
> of
> tagging the same property.
>
> Oh, and changing documentation on the wiki to promote the
> least-prevalent method of tagging is bad form! The wiki should
> (IMNotVeryHO) be there to document what's in the database, not
> promote
> particular tagging schemes over one another.

I agree, and I think the changes to the wiki should be at least
reversed, and possibly an additional note added to say many users
append mph to the value where the speed limit is signposted in mph
rather than converting to km/h (as is already noted on the following
page I discovered today, following a link from the maxspeed=none
voting page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspee
)

Ed