2008/10/8 Ed Loach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I'd argue that it doesn't make sense, in that if you allow both
> maxspeed:mph and maxspeed as valid tags, a way may end up tagged
> with both showing contradictory speed information.

This would require either 2 mappers not heeding each other's work or
one very disorganised mapper.

> It makes more
> sense to have maxspeed=<number><optional units; assume km/h if none
> specified> to avoid the chance of that happening.

Doing so prevents simple numerical analysis of the field contents.
Nothing can be analysed without pre-processing, and you are very prone
to dodgy units (how many ways can you right Miles Per Hour?)

Dermot