Chris wrote:

> My comment was more to point out that changing the Map features
> by
> adding the editor's favourite option as though it was an
> accepted norm
> while the discussion about the options was still taking place
> seemed a
> bit premature to me.

And perhaps as this discussion is limited to the few people who use
this list, or spot changes to the wiki, it's all a bit pointless
anyway. People are already using maxspeed=30mph much more widely
than maxspeed:mph=30
Assuming the figures here are correct:
http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Great_britain/En/tags.html
then there are 1079 uses of =30mph and 93 of :mph=30, and that
presumably includes all the ones I switched to :mph at the start of
this discussion and will probably switch back at some point if I get
time (usefully, maplint highlights the ways so I can find them
easily...)

It seems wrong if anyone can just amend Map Features even if their
preferred method is in the minority. That way leads to chaos. I'm
more than tempted to add "or add an mph suffix to the speed" in the
maxspeed= comments field, to document what is already the widely
followed practice (and to my mind makes more sense than allowing two
maxspeed tags on a single way - surely it is as easy to parse any
optional units as it is to read both maxspeed definitions and decide
based on location which is most likely to be the correct one?). But
presumably someone else might just edit out such an amendment.

Mappers should be mapping what it is they find. If I find an 11'3"
clearance bridge with a 20mph limit beneath it then that is what I
want to map. I don't want to have to artificially convert either of
these to metric, or use alternate tags for the same thing. The
addition of units if they aren't the default should be sufficient.
And for those mappers who aren't reading this discussion, or
watching for un-voted amendments to Map Features, they won't even
know about the minority use tags that were added today.

Ed