2008/11/27 Lambertus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> No need to have geometry drawing, which is the hard bit to code. If you want
>> to draw ways, you need to make a sufficient commitment to the project to
>> learn an editor, just as thousands have already done. And if you've
>> progressed through this entry-level editor, you're a lot less likely to foul
>> up when you do.
>>
>> Some of this could be built on OpenLayers as per the data browser (though
>> Chris Schmidt has expressed reservations about JS performance with many ways
>> loaded in IE and FF2, and he knows much more about this sort of thing than I
>> do). Tom Carden's very interesting-looking ActionScript 3 renderer
>> (http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/2008/10/01/openstreetmap-vectors-flash-yahoo-maps/)
>> would be a fantastic foundation, unless there are already code gnomes
>> somewhere working on turning it into a Potlatch killer ;) .
>>
> In my experience, most browsers start complaining about lengthy JS
> runtime when more then (say) 200 OL vectors features are loaded and
> responsiveness becomes poor. 200 way segments (or even 1k) is not much
> in any built-up area, so only the highest zoomlevels are usable when all
> features on the map are expressed in OL vectors.

The current data browser handles this issue by limiting to 100
features, and asking if the user is *really sure* they want to load
more. Otherwise, it tells them to zoom in to view the detail.
If we're considering an OL editor for small edits, we'd want to
require a fairly high zoom level anyway.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood