Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Even when we do use something that wasn't invented here, the best fits are
> those which were at least partially developed with OSM in mind - from Mapnik
> to the ODbL. TBH I wouldn't have even considered this application as a
> bug-tracker had the comparison not been made on the mailing list.

Inventing your own stuff makes perfect sense in the area of your core
competency. So OSM rolling its own mapping software is entirely
reasonable. However, OSM doesn't have a core competency in wikis (so we
use MediaWiki), source code management (so we use SVN) or bug trackers
(so we use Trac).

I agree that where the bug tracker starts being used for mapping-related
things, then the boundaries start to blur. But I'd still suggest that
the only difference between an OSB "ticket" and a "software bug" ticket
is the method of submission. After that, it's triaged and managed in the
same sort of way.

Gerv