David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 03/12/2008 18:47, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>
>> - the bugtracker will not be the core client for managing the "bug", the
>> usual OSM clients will (Potlatch/JOSM/Merkaartor)
>
> I don't think so, with one exception: you'd like to be able to view the
> map from the bug report, but that can be handled by embedding a link in
> the original report.
>
> When you're fixing a software bug, the tools you use to fix it and the
> tools for tracking it are usually independent. (Though in one system I
> wrote, checking in a file caused it to update the bug tracking system
> *and* the comments at the top of the source files with the check in reason.

I could imagine the workflow for people fixing map bugs to be
something like starting their favorite editor, download all bugs for
the area they care about, download the map data around the bugs they
want to work on, fix it, upload the result and close the bug report.
Or, attach a comment to the bug report or send a message to the
reporter.

For all but the last two operations it is probably most efficient if
it can be done directly in the editor.  For the last two the editor
might fire up your email client to send the message.

>> - greater need to manage bugs in aggregate than with a traditional
>> bugtracker
>
> I don't think so. People's comments are generally "this or that feature
> is wrong", which is an individual "bug".

Yes, but bugs are related to each other by the area they are in.  So
you might want to highlight all the bugs in the area you have just
worked on to close them all, or so.

Matthias