On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Frederik Ramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> Congratulations on constructing something that is likely to break as soon as
> the first inexperienced mapper touches it ;-) it would have been perfectly
> ok to just add nodes for the individual houses and tag them with the full
> address data - no relations, no headache, and easy to understand for
> everyone.

a name based approach would be as likely to break, and it wouldn't
even give any warning like the relation approach does

>> An even better alternative would probably be to add the collected
>> street relation to the associatedStreet one, but I'm not sure there is
>> support for relations in relations in the api / editors
> JOSM does support relations within relations but there is still a bug that
> causes problems if both the containing and the contained relation are
> created in the same session.

that will have to wait, then, I suppose

> Still my advice is not to use relations wherever there is an easier way.

Actually, I don't understand what's hard with the relations: sure it
is painful to add them with no autocompletion in josm, but that's just
a minor editor issue that will be hopefully fixed.

Maybe it is because I started mapping with the 5 api already in use,
so relations were just a fact and not something new that I had to
learn and changed the way I was used to map.

>  One
> set of address tags per address, nothing could be easier, no relations
> required.

easier? maybe, but a maintenance nightmare

the street I did yesterday was just a small test, but the next one I'm
going to try is a 200+ houses one: i'm not going to do it at once, so
I can't just insert all of the data and be done with it, I would have
to painfully copy it at least once per session, hoping I'm not adding
some spelling error

--
Elena of Valhalla

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org