Hugh Barnes said:

>> http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds
>
> Ewww, CSV serialisations requiring their own purpose-built validator …
> Like you say, we can build from it. Let's look through the
> fields/elements, but make something proper and scalable that leverages
> XML as it should.

I can sympathize with your format prejudice, but GTFS is aimed at
making things as easy as possible for the data provider, since getting
the data in the first place is often the hardest part.  I should also
point out that the validator also checks a lot of deeper semantic
things related to transit timetable logic, not just syntactic issues.

As far as I'm aware, though, there's been more detailed transit data
opened to the public in GTFS than in any other format, and it'd be
great to get the relevant parts of that into OSM.

Joe Hughes