Dave Stubbs wrote:

> The only way of avoiding this issue in some non-confusing way is to
> not use tagging as the answer. Some complex relation with a "this
> side" member which still needs editor support. Or just adding another
> way to the database for each left/right feature, which becomes hard
> when you try to connect things together.

Particularly when one of the side things you might want to tag is a
cycleway or a strip of parking between the vehicle carriageway (part of
our concept of a highway) and the foot sidewalk/pavement (also included
in our highways, as a sort of bonus feature). Sticking your fingers in
your ears and humming is a *fine* strategy to adopt when people begin
talking about relations for this sort of thing, particularly when you
can assume that there'd probably be a fairly reasonable, natural spatial
hierarchy to such things.

OSM simply doesn't tag to that degree of detail most of the time. If it
did, it'd be implemented as a full-on GIS system. I personally want a
system where I never need to tag things like
http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/02/arrowing-experience-in-tavistock-place.html
in any level of detail other than "cycleway=aaaargh! (on the left)"

But saying "has some things along the side of it" is something we can do
already. It'd be helpful sometimes to add "on the left" to that.

--
Andrew Chadwick