To know what the default language is used in the tag "name" is a
common issue about default meanings related to a tag.
Look the following wiki pages about default maxspeed or default access
restrictions per country or region:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspeed
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

By defining such clear documentation, we don't have to add millions of
maxspeed tags or foot=yes/no, bicycle=yes/no, hgv=yes/no in all
highways... or language=iso_code to millions of elements.
Thus we should be able to specify the default language used in "name"
either in a similar wiki page or maybe in a boundary relation.
But please, don't ask me to type two tags each time I enter a name.
Pieren