On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Jonathan Bennett <
openstreet...@jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:

> Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > But saying: "We don't intend to support this because we cannot think of
> > an application that absolutely requires it", is quite un-OSM, is it not?
>
> Qualify "application" as "application which actually uses the geodata",
> and it's not so far off the mark. We don't need a million tools that
> just tell us where people are mapping.

Woah! Since when can OSM tell me what sort of applications I can and can't
write with the open source data that OSM is providing**?

OSM isn't about the geodata, it's about the data. That includes the fact
that it is in the geographic domain, but it also means that we can
manipulate it or store it however we want.

** Provided it meets the requirements of the license that the data is
released under.