Pieren wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Richard Fairhurst<rich...@systemed.net>
> wrote:
>> Arguing over the presentation on the wiki isn't really the issue. What the
>> tags are, and how they're documented, are two separate things. But like Ævar
>> says, talk is cheap, and though many of us feel strongly that MediaWiki is a
>> rubbish solution (even discounting its performance issues) none of us have
>> as yet actually produced any code. Any devs out there looking for a project?
>
> I'm not talking about the whole wiki, just the "Map Features" page.
> This page presents all tags at same level of importance, from the
> highway=residential instanciated million times to highway=bus_guideway
> or railway=monorail instanciated ergh.. (don't know.. 3 times ?).
> I don't understand people saying it is not possible with the search
> function. How do they use wikipedia ? they have a single page listing
> all articles listed in alphabetic order ?

The nice part about the map_features page is that there is one overview and
for a lot of tags there is even a nice picture to see what real-world example
fits it.
Moving away from that would mean lots of searching in pages with tags that may
or may not fit your needs, and using the search with the wrong search key will
give you nothing usefull, while browsing through a list will result in finding
the correct key.
Of course this could be fixed by i.e. making a category for each main key type
(highway, waterway, natural, amenity, etc.) and using the category page for
the overview of values associated with the key, but a standard wiki-generated
category page only lists pages and does not have the information which is now
in the table of the map features page.

And what is importance here? Don't confuse "abundance of use" with
"importance". A bus lane is certainly not used as much as a primary road, but
it is not less important.

IMHO the map_features page functions as it should: a list of documented
features.

Regards,
Marten